Subject: Re: Annoying messages
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/1996 13:34:06
Ken Nakata writes:
[quoting someone else]
>> The messages (from the serial ports me guess)
>>
>> ....zs0a: ring overrun
>> ....zs0b: ring overrun
>> ....last message repeated n times
>
>Run xconsole or xterm with -C option.  All console messages will get
>sent to whichever you choose to run.  You may have to run them as
>root, though.

I have 'xterm -C' in my .xinitrc, and I don't have to run it as root.
As long as logging in on the console chowns /dev/console to you, you
can run xterm -C as yourself.  (I think I remember that had to move
the console getty from /dev/ite0 to /dev/console for this to work.
Caveat emptor.)

BTW, something that nobody seems to have mentioned on this thread is that
recent -current kernels don't have the "ring overrun" problem nearly
that bad.  (I run ppp at 38400, and I almost never see that message.)
Unless you're running both serial ports at 57600 (which is probably a
bad idea even with the latest kernels), you could probably do better
(i.e. get better performance) with something more recent.

-- monroe
Monroe Williams                                      monroe@teleport.com