Subject: Re:PowerBook 500-series test kernel available
To: Takashi HAMADA <pm6@apricot.etron.kanazawa-it.ac.jp>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/1996 13:11:03
>If this kernel won't work on your machine, please let me (and port-mac68k)
>know what it happen.

It boots on my PB540 (12 MB RAM, just using internal monitor).  I will try
with external monitor later today.  A warning: make sure you restart twice
after turning off RAM Doubler; on the first restart it's still active and
will cause an error booting.

However doing anything but running "sh" fails with Illegal Instruction.  It
won't go out of single-user mode.  I assume that's because everything tries
to execute a FPU instruction.  I'm only using the binary snapshots I found
on ftp.eskimo.com - should they be ok?

I couldn't even halt or shutdown...

Also - the NetBSD Installer Utility complained there was an error in the
gzip, but the HP-UX gzip didn't have a problem.  I ended up using StuffIt
Expander to do the gunzip then using the installer on the tar file.

<sabi

|Nicholas Riley  | nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu |
|nriley@tiac.net |       st951491@pip.cc.brandeis.edu |
|________________|_<http://www.tiac.net/users/nriley/>|