Subject: Re: flakey HD (was: Colorkit results)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/1996 00:35:04
>Hi,
>
>now THAT sounds very, very familar :-( I had the same problems with my 500
>MB hd. Which HD are you using ? And which error messages did you get ?
>
>Maybe it's just a problem with the HD and not with NetBSD ....
>
>ciao
>  lutz

Its a Maxtor drive of some sort (according to the syslog messages...)

The drive is one I pulled off of the "We're going to throw this stuff away
if someone doesn't take it" shelf at my previous job.  The drive was
replaced becasue it kept getting corrupted.  They reformatted it multiple
times, and within a week it was losing data again.

I'm not confident in the drive (ie, it doesn't have my root and usr
partitions!) but it has worked fine for me for about 4 months now... except
for the sporadic lock up during the bootup process.  I think its previous
user was an idiot, but I digress... ;-)

It didn't seem to lock up when I was running the 1.1 kernel... it's only
started since around March 12.  But, since it was marked flakey when I got
it, and rebooting almost always fixes it, I haven't worried about it much.

Oh, and to answer your question, no error message at all.  When the fsck
command in /etc/rc is run, it reports on /dev/sd0a and sd0g, but sometimes
sd1g never shows up at all.  If sd1g doesn't show up, I have to hit the
rest button or the power button... the interupt switch doesn't even work.
If sd1g does show up, then the systems boots normally and I don't have any
problems with the drive at all, even when it is being heavily used.

Aaron Magill

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{