Subject: Re: FWTK compile errors
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/10/1996 01:23:11

>I do have a question though.  I've recompiled my kernel to include the
>suggested changes to the zsvar.h file concerning the ring buffer (changed
>to 1024), but I still run into the problem, when the throughput is low
>(getting E-Mail, etc...) everything is fine, but as soon as both ports
>start trying to flow my throughput drops to a slow crawl and is basically
>unuseable (trying to get Netscape's hopepage for example)  Both ports are
>set to 38400 although I have also tried slower speeds (28.8 to the modem
>and 19.2 to the powermac) with the same results.  I've tried recompiling
>the kernel again with the line(s) changed to 2048 and again no luck.
>Either port running by itself is OK.  I've got a classic2 10MB ram, 250HD,
>the kernel is based on fairly current sources although I'm not sure of the
>exact date.  I've pretty much given up on getting it to work just figuring
>that the machine won't handle it.  Anything else I can try?

Hmmm... When I upped the values to around 1024, it seemd to take care of
things for the most part... I still got overruns, but *MUCH* less
frequently.  Are you using hardware handshaking with the ppp lines?  I had
that turned on for both of my ppp lines.  How fast is a Classic II?  My Mac
IIx is a 16mHz 030, but I don't know how that compares.

If I get a chance this next week, I'll try setting up the two ppp lines
again (I'm down to just the one right now) and see what happens.

Aaron

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{