Subject: Re: pppd error
To: Geoffrey Alexander <geoffrey@worf.netins.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/1996 19:45:15

> Hi...could someone direct me to the ppp How-To? It seems it isn't
> on any of the servers currently;

One version of the PPP how-to is in my private directory on puma.
Log onto puma and cd /private/wrstuden . NB: Don't cd /private
and then do an ls; you'll get nothing! But you can still cd to my
directory.

> The specific problem I'm having is that immediately after (I mean,
> Immediately After) I get the ppp0 connect --> /dev/tty00 message, pppd
> drops DTR (though leaving the modem connected to the remote) and
> gives me a 'modem hangup' message.  There seem to be no error
> messages logged with this.

In the /etc/ppp/options file you can set debug which will trigger
debugging messages to the logs.

> I'm connecting to a dynamic ppp server with pppd & chat defaults suggested
> by my ISP.  I have checked the against the man pages, and they seem
> to be kosher.

You might look at the ones I have in the kit. They work for me, though
they might not work for you. :-) The modem config string should
CERTAINLY be tailored to your modem. The one in the kit works for
me. YMMV.

Take care,

Bill