Subject: Re: More Adventures in Internal Video
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Nicholas Riley <nriley@tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/1996 20:08:40
>I will also upload a newer color server as I promised.  New server
>doesn't seem to crash with Tk tests (though it reports tons of
>errors), even though it's compiled with gcc -O or -O2 flags.  It made
>the server only about 20% larger than the old B&W server.

did you get the response to the e-mail about the problem I was having
booting? (I sent it Tuesday).

I traced the ADB problems down to a faulty cable, which is now replaced and
the kernel displays the proper devices on boot.

However, the color X doesn't work :(  when I'm using it with an external
monitor, the monitor distinctly dims when a video initialization goes on at
boot, and then when I startx it complains about an old version of ld.so and
then proceeds to give me a blank screen.  At this point I can do something
like shutdown -h and have it work, so there is probably an error message
but I can't see it.

I tried capturing the error messages (startx > filename), and was presented
with an empty file on restart.

Is the ld.so message normal?  if not can I find a newer version?  I'm using
all of the 1.1 tarfiles, with the 9503 X distribution except for the files
you included in the color kit.

<sabi

|Nicholas Riley  | nriley@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu |
|nriley@tiac.net |       st951491@pip.cc.brandeis.edu |