Subject: Re: Teac 600mb tape drive supported?
To: Ian MacColl <ianm@cs.uq.oz.au>
From: Peter Kelm <kelm@physik.TU-Berlin.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/09/1996 07:48:03
On Thu, 9 May 1996, Ian MacColl wrote:

> Does this apply to all SCSI devices? EG, I'm trying to decide whether
> to buy a ZIP drive (which does work) or an EZ drive (which is faster
> but I'm not sure of netbsd support, tho' other Syquests are supported).

I bought a Zip a month ago. Beside of some quirks (sometimes it freezes
the machine, but this occurs not often) it works great. I do not know
about working EZs. But many people I know got many problems with the EZ.
And secondly you operate the ZIP like a floppy (in MacOS). No startup
break (very annoying in _any_ Syquest I have seen until now. And The whole
process of inserting media is _much_ better on a ZIP. Just put it in. No
waiting for the media to get mounted (...not significant...)

So I would prefer the ZIP - even if its capacity is a little less and the
drive is a little slower.

Maybe you should consider this....

Bye                                 Peter

btw: I never had _any_problems wit the ZIPs while using MacOS.
Simply great stuff!

         --- beam me up Scotty, this planet sucks ---
                                                        Plan B
Peter Kelm (kelm@physik.tu-berlin.de)

Technical University Berlin
Physics Department