Subject: Re: X install problems
To: Chris Min <gmt@earthlink.net>
From: Brian Cole <tuc@cs.wisc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1996 11:29:24
gmt@earthlink.net (Chris Min) writes:
]
] hello everyone,
] I'm trying to install X version from
] ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/X/X.11Mar95.tgz
] &
] ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/X/Xmacbsd.950912
]
] First I initiate the mini-shell in INSTALLER with the following procedure
]
] > cd /usr
] > zinstall
] Choose file to unpack
] Inflating
] Invalid compressed data--format violated 1
] Unexpected end of file--not a valid tar archive.
] Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
] Finished extracting X.11Mar95.tgz.

You're not alone.  Here's part of something I posted about a month ago:

} From tuc Mon Apr  8 22:46:04 1996
} Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
} Subject: MacBSD X11R6 distribution
}
}                                                                  I finally
} got it to work by using DropStuffWithExpanderEnhancer to gunzip it into
} a plain ".tar" file.  (This required more than 27MB of free disk space,
} which is why it took me a while.)  The Installer was happy to install the
} gunzipped file.
}
}   The reason I bring this up is because the "README.11Mar95" file's
} instructions say that it should work without gunzipping it first.
} All I can guess is that the tar files was gzipped in some way that,
} though still legal and able to be gunzipped by most gunzipping utilities,
} the MacBSD Installer can't handles.
}
}   Perhaps someone should gunzip the files and re-gzip it for the
} archives so other people don't have the same problems I did.  Why
} s/he is at it, s/he can incorporate the the newer X server binaries

I guess it now makes sense to wait and see how compatible the experimental
color X server is before repackaging the distribution.

] Can someone help me with the cpin and cpout?

I'd like to hear more about these also.  In particular, how does one
specify HFS path names?

brian
--
 Brian A. Cole    |_   _  |  |  ___|    Visit Brian's Repository of