Subject: Re: Does mkfs trash other partitions?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Lt Avram Dorfman <dorfman@hq.af.mil>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1996 13:36:27
Ken,

Here's how I built a new fs on just the usr partition:

1) ran mkfs, picked my drive's scsi id
2) mkfs offered three partitions: root, usr, swap. I chose usr
	these are the correct partitions.
	root previously had mkfs run on it
	root had devices built
	root had distribution installed & booted successfully

In other words, the drive was already partitioned & mkfs'd (on root &
usr). I re-ran mkfs on just usr for the reasons indicated below. At no
point did I bother running mkfs on the swap partition.

-1LT Avram Dorfman
HQ USAF Network Management
permanent email address: avram@pobox.com

"Methodological observation of the sociometrical behavior tendencies of
prematurated isolates indicates that a causal relationship exists between
groundward tropism and lachrimatory behavior forms."