Subject: Re: Trouble with Mkfs
To: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
From: Jacob Savin <jesavin@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1996 01:30:10
Ok, Steve... Here's responses to your questions...
>Can you tell us if the installer is the only thing you are trying to run
>at the time that it crashes??
  Yes.

>Can you also tell us which packages you have tried to install??
  See my other post. I tried netbsd11 first and got a message about
corrupted archive or something. (I only tried that one once assuming ;)
that it was a download bug or my mistake.)

>Did you start off with base11??
  Nope, as I said, netbsd11 but then tried man11 and got unexpected eof
which ran up the screen ad infinitum and had to force-quit.

>Did you download the packages in "binary" mode??
  Yes (with Fetch 3.0)

>Did you leave the packages "gzipped"??
  Yep... didn't touch them at all.

>The "etc" package is a small one and should install, even with the smaller
>memory settings. Try that if you absolutely can't get "base" to install.
>I'm just trying to think of process of elimination things to see what is
>wrong.
  I'm gonna try that next but first I'm gonna try to get my larger drive
setup with the A/UX partitions. That may take me some time and then I've
got some major dl'ing to do. ;)

>Also, check if the new installer gives the same error. If so, I can try
>some changes. Be aware I am out of town for a week starting Thursday so
>the changes may have to wait until after I get back.
  Ok... The installer and Mkfs are both working as long as I ignore the
scsiread() error 5 (phase error according to Mac folks) and I turn off
32-bit addressing when using the installer. (Keep in mind that this is
installer 1.0... I'm gonna try the 1.1 installer tonight).
  The 32-bit addressing thing sounds a bit wierd to me though... After all,
my system isn't all that strange. 68030, 12MB + HDs sounds pretty normal
for this kind of thing... What about FPUs? Am I gonna have to get one? I
haven't heard anything about it yet.

Somehow I think this is stuff you've seen before but I guess from the
number of responses to my posts that maybe it isn't. Anyway, thanks for all
the help!!! NetBSD looks like a *really* cool project to me and you guys
are being really supportive. :-)

BTW, have any of you checked out the UserLand Frontier stuff that's going
on now. They are doing a similar (i.e. distributed over the internet)
development project for really cool OS-level scripting environment for Mac
(& PowerMac). It's getting close to the 4.0 release and it's pretty intense
stuff. Just a plug for other wholesome, industrious and *free* projects
going on in net-land...

-Jake

_/   Jacob Savin (Jake)  <mailto:jesavin@earthlink.net>