Subject: Re: Trouble with Mkfs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1996 00:56:17
>> > I'm trying to install NetBSD and haven't gotten past the Mkfs step. I set
>> > up partitions on my Apple (Quantum) 80MB drive (24MB for swap and the other
>> > 55+MB for root/usr) using Apple HD SC Setup. When I run the Mkfs utility,
>> > it gives an error: "Error on SCSIRead(), #5". Mkfs seems to go on with the
>> > rest of it's stuff fine but when I run the Install Utility, it gives the
>> > same error and dies. What does the error mean and what do I do about it?
>> >
>> > -Jake
>>
>> This is probably just due to the fact that the installer (and also mkfs
>> I think) sometimes have a difficult time "talking" to whatever is on
>> SCSI ID 5.  For instance, on my ID 5 I've got a Zip drive.  Because the
>> drive uses variable geometry for the disk parameter, I'm pretty sure
>> that's part of the reason that it will give the error.  What kind of
>> device do you have on SCSI ID 5?  Is it a non-standard type of drive?
>
>Whoops! The SCSRead(), #5 means a SCSI error of type 5, whatever
>that is, not a problem w/ device #5. I get this error on my Quantum
>730 (ID 1). It's a bug in the installer/Mkfs programs. I think the new
>version doesn't have it.
>
>Take care,
>
>Bill

"Inside Macintosh: Devices" defines an error of type 5 as a phase error
and basically implies that you're trying to do something on the SCSI bus
when the bus is not ready for it.  The old installer reliably gave me phase
errors when it tried to read the BSD disk label off of my cd-rom(which is
really a senseless thing to do in the first place, since the installer can't
do anything to a cd-rom).  The new installer does not try to read BSD disk
labels off of anything but hard drives.  This has eliminated the installer
phase errors for me(As always, your mileage may vary).

I still get the Mkfs phase errors when it tries to do a mode sense - page 4
on my hard drive.  I played with the mkfs code but nothing I tried seemed
to stop the phase errors in that instance.  Not sure what is wrong in that
case.  It doesn't keep Mkfs from working, so I'm really not too worried.

On the installer dying, it is remotely possible it is not running out of main
memory, but out of pointers, heap space, or something else really heinous.  It
does not do a lot of the error checking it should.

Jake,
Can you tell us if the installer is the only thing you are trying to run
at the time that it crashes??  Can you also tell us which packages you
have tried to install??  Did you start off with base11??  Did you download
the packages in "binary" mode??  Did you leave the packages "gzipped"??

The "etc" package is a small one and should install, even with the smaller
memory settings.  Try that if you absolutely can't get "base" to install.
I'm just trying to think of process of elimination things to see what is
wrong.

Also, check if the new installer gives the same error.  If so, I can try
some changes.  Be aware I am out of town for a week starting Thursday so
the changes may have to wait until after I get back.

Steve Brown