Subject: Colorkit results
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1996 22:47:47
To keep Ken up to date on how the color kit is working, here is the results
I got running it on a Mac IIx...

The Mac IIx has the original 4/8 bit card from Apple in it... the one that
was upgradeable to 24bit with the addition of vram simms, but was not
upgradable to the 24gc accelerated card that came out about the same time.
I'm using a NEC MultiSync 3D monitor with an adapter (I forget the brand)
which convinces the Mac it is a 14" Apple Monitor (640x480 res).

Currently I have no EtherNet card installed.
8MB of Ram, and 2 hard drives, 1 240mb, and 1 500mb.
The monitor depth was set to b/w before bootup.

(enough info? ;-)

When I startup with the colorkit kernel, everything is fine until the probe
for grf0.  Then it goes all white (no text appears on the screen)

Since I have it ppp'd into a machine running Linux, I was able to determine
that the machine was in fact up and running, so I went back to the Mac and
logged in (blindly) and started X up.

It started up and the screen started displaying the background and windows
I had open under Sys 7.5 before MacBSD started booting.  It then printed
the standard Screen0 at blah blah stuff over the background and continued
chugging... finally X came up fine in color!  But only certain colors were
visible... I didn't run a very extensive test, but it seemed that blues and
greys generally worked, while *most* red and browns did not... they
appeared grey instead (this was done quickly, as it was late last night
when I did this... I can run some more tests later if needed.)

When I finally quit X, and returned to the login shell, the black text
appeared on the screen fine! No more whiteout!

I don't have any kernel message output right now, but I can provide it if
necessary.

I tried this again with 8bit depth selected before bootup, but after the
whiteout during bootup, the system never finished booting (I couldn't get
to it from the linux machine.)

This last may be because I have a flakey drive which only sometimes
works... about half the time my 500mb drive locks the system during its
initial fsck check.  Since rebooting usually fixes it, and I'm not doing
anything that will cause tears if the drive does die, I haven't worried
about it much. (ok, so some tears will form, but not many ;-)  I should
probably try it in 8bit mode again, but I was tired.

So, congratulations on the work done!  I hope this info helps in making it
a better server in the near future.

Aaron Magill

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{