Subject: Re: Trouble with Mkfs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jacob Savin <jesavin@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1996 11:44:59
On 05/06/96 in "Re: Trouble with Mkfs", Stephen C. Brown wrote...
>The error that you are seeing, "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"(Phase error) seems to
>occur quite a bit and in most cases is harmless and can be ignored.  As for the
>installer dying, it is probably running out of memory, as the default setting
>for the memory is too low on most copies of "Installer 1.0" floating around out
>there.  If you use the "File -> Get Info" menu from the Finder to up the
>"Minimum size" and "Preferred size" on the installer to at least 1500 K,
>things should work fine.

Ok... I tried giving it 2MB but it's crashing on me. It starts up, repeats
the #5 error and when I try to install a file, it shows the name (unix
style w/flags, etc.) and then promptly crashes on the MacOS saying
"Application unexpectedly quit, Type 1". What's this about? Any ideas?

More sys info: Performa 460, 12MB, system 7.5.3, same result with or
without extensions...

>The newer version adds some features and error checking not in the old one.
>If you decide to use the new installer and have any problems or
>questions, let me know.  The only caveat on the new version of the
>installer is that it currently will NOT work on System 6.

Haven't tried the 1.1 version yet... System 6 incompatibility is no problem
though.

>p.s. When the installer fails, it sometimes leaves the filesystem corrupt,
>        so before you reinstall, redo the "Mkfs" for safety's sake.

Cool, thanks for the tip.

-Jake

_/                         Jacob Savin (Jake)