Subject: Re: Trouble with Mkfs
To: Jacob Savin <jesavin@earthlink.net>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1996 21:46:46
>Ok, I'm really new to all this... I appologize if I'm posting to the wrong
>list...

You're in the right place.  Don't worry.

The error that you are seeing, "Error on SCSIRead(), #5"(Phase error) seems to
occur quite a bit and in most cases is harmless and can be ignored.  As for the
installer dying, it is probably running out of memory, as the default setting
for the memory is too low on most copies of "Installer 1.0" floating around out
there.  If you use the "File -> Get Info" menu from the Finder to up the
"Minimum size" and "Preferred size" on the installer to at least 1500 K,
things should work fine.

There is a newer version of the installer at:

ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/installer/MacBSDInstaller1.1.sea.hqx

The newer version adds some features and error checking not in the old one.
If you decide to use the new installer and have any problems or
questions, let me know.  The only caveat on the new version of the
installer is that it currently will NOT work on System 6.

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com

p.s. When the installer fails, it sometimes leaves the filesystem corrupt,
        so before you reinstall, redo the "Mkfs" for safety's sake.