Subject: Re: NetBSD boot problem
To: Steven Carlson <stevec@accessone.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1996 09:51:28
On Sun, 5 May 1996, Steven Carlson wrote:

> When I run the installer program it gives me the error: SCSIRead(), #5

I'm not sure that there's a single drive out there that _doesn't_ give
that error.  No.  Not really, but a large number do.

> reformatted my HD and having received this error again I decided to ignore
> it and install the base11 file anyway. I got most of the way through the
> installation and then received an error saying I had a corrupt directory.
> After reinstalling this file a couple of times and receiving the same
> error, I gave up and installed the etc11 and netbsd11 files.

Sounds like a problem with mkfs somewhere.  Try running mkfs again and
reinstalling.  While you're at it, run Norton Disk Doctor or something
else to make sure there are no bad blocks on the disk (and let it
reallocate them if they exist).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |