Subject: A kernel for PowerBook 550c
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Takashi HAMADA <pm6@apricot.etron.kanazawa-it.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1996 17:05:41
Hi,

 I made a kernel for my PowerBook 550c (68040, 12M RAM, 328M HDD)
and succeeded in booting it. The NetBSD/mac68k and the X11R6 are
working on my PowerBook 550c now.

 There were three problems to get work NetBSD/mac68k on the PowerBook 550c:

 1. Internal Video (and External Video?)

    The kernel failed to relocate the memory of the Internal video
   because of the lack of a 040 version of get_pte() in mac68k/locore.s.
    To solve this problem, I added few lines to bootstrap_mac68k() in
   mac68k/pmap_bootstrap.c to tell it physical video address, logical video
   address and video frame length.

 2. SCSI driver

    The SCSI drivers (ncrscsi0 and sbc0) did not work because of the lack
   of functions of SCSI with/non DRQ on the PowerBook 500 series (as possible
   as I know).
    To solve this problem, I turned off the PDMA option in dev/mac68k5380.c,
   then it became to work.

 3. ADB driver (Power Manager driver)

   This is a big problem not only PowerBooks but also desktop models.
  Once I've tried to make a kernel which uses ROM routines for my PowerBook
  550c, but many A-line traps disturbed to make the table which is used by
  the Power Manager routines, after all I gave up to use the ROM routines...
   So I hacked the ROM routines of the Power Manager with the MacsBug,
  and studied how to communicate to the Power Manager IC,
  then I made the Power Manager driver which supports only ADB.
   I merged my Power Manager driver with John P. Wittkoski's ADB driver.
  It works very fine on my PowerBook 550c. I guess that this Power Manager
  driver MAY work on the other PowerBooks.

So I'd like to distribute this kernel and patch kit to check whether these
works on the other PowerBooks or not. But I don't have my own Web page,
and I won't manage Anonymous FTP server. I'am not sure how to do that....
Does anyone have good idea?

Thanks in advance.

 8[%]8  Takashi HAMADA       Kanazawa Institute of Technology  //
 (.= )  E-mail: hamada@next.etron.kanazawa-it.ac.jp            \\
 ( =:)          QFG03666@niftyserve.or.jp                      //