Subject: Re: X install problems
To: Chris Min <gmt@earthlink.net>
From: Chris Ghormley <cghormle@reed.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1996 16:48:30
On Sun, 5 May 1996, Chris Min wrote:

> I'm trying to install X version from
> ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/X/X.11Mar95.tgz
> &
> ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/NetBSD/X/Xmacbsd.950912

did you use binary mode file transfer?  if you are using FTP, enter the
command "bin" before you start getting files.  this trips all of us up at
one time or another.

> First I initiate the mini-shell in INSTALLER with the following procedure
>
> > cd /usr
> > zinstall
> Choose file to unpack
> Inflating
> Invalid compressed data--format violated 1
> Unexpected end of file--not a valid tar archive.

this suggests to me that you may have used ASCII (text) mode.

> Try using the mini-shell and cpin or cpout.
> Finished extracting X.11Mar95.tgz.
>
> Can someone help me with the cpin and cpout?
> BTW, what is hfs and ufs.

yeah, hfs stands for the mac file system, the hierarchical fs.  ufs is the
unix file system which you are manipulating with the install program.

oh, by the way, if you're installing X I assume that you already have
netbsd up and running.  if so, I believe you'll get faster decompression
by just copying the file in,

> cpin X.11Mar95.tgz /usr/X.11Mar95.tgz
	 file in 	new unix file
	installer
	directory

then you can boot, gunzip and untar the archive.

hope this helps.  anyone have more specific advice?

| You hit the evil dragon! | pgp key available. |
Ghormley:  05/05/96--standard disclaimer applies.