Subject: Re: SCSI Q&A
To: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
From: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/04/1996 10:12:10

> I've been having a lot of apparently disk-related problems since I
> started using a Quantum 730 drive as my main NetBSD-mac68k drive.  (The
> system hangs under conditions of moderate to heavy disk usage, and
> occasionally even when there's very little going on.  Stack traces
> always show it to be somewhere in the SCSI interrupt code.)
>
> I seem to remember some mention of problems with this particular drive
> on the list a while ago.  Did anyone ever figure out just what the
> problem was?  Would the new sbc SCSI driver be likely to help?  If so,
> is there a compiled kernel with the new driver somewhere that I could
> try out?  (I realize it's a work in progress, and I would compile one
> myself except that compiling seems to be the best way to reproduce the
> hangs. :-P)
>
> Thanks,
> -- monroe
> Monroe Williams                                      monroe@teleport.com

I seemed to have the same problem with a Seagate 237MB drive.  It's an
older drive and a tad bit slower.  I was originally running on that
particular drive, but I had to ditch it because the system would hang
and the drive's LED would stay high.  This would often corrupt different
parts of the filesystem.  I went out and bought a Quantum Fireball 1080.
I've been running with that disk for quite a while without a single
problem.

I had mentioned this problem to Allen Briggs one time.  He asked me to
send him the output from the debugger:  call _pdma_stat (I'm pretty sure
that's it).  I don't think we ever got around to making much of it.  I
remember that the disk was hung waiting for an interrupt (I'll have to
check it later on to be sure).  If anyone would like to see the output,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Jon
wookie@us.net