Subject: Re: babbling about OT
To: None <bhh3@cornell.edu>
From: Chima Njaka <dream@windchime.arc.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1996 11:38:19
>         My experience with OT support for Cornell Information Technologies
> has been that OT 1.1 works with both 68k and PowerMac systems.  MacTCP will
> work with PCI architectures for dialup via PPP and SLIP, but isn't
> compatible with any directly connected machines, and are thus forced to use
> OT.

	Hi Barclay,

	A little voice in the back of my mind is warning me about
	continuing this thread here, but...

	You are correct in implying that the SerialDMA driver
	applies specifically for dialup connections (my home
	situation).  But we are also currently running MacTCP
	2.0.6 on a number of PCI machines (7500/100s) here in the
	office with direct connections.  To get MacTCP to work,
	you must be using a version greater than 2.0.4 - Also,
	make sure that all s/w associated with OT is removed from
	the extensions & control panel folders within the system
	folder (this includes the TCP/IP control panel - use
	MacTCP's control panel instead).  Also note that direct
	connection settings within MacTCP will differ from dailup
	settings.

	For those able to install Apple's latest system s/w, OT
	1.1 is nice for both architectures, allowing one to
	easily switch between TCP/IP configurations
	(i.e. personal ISP, work, school, etc) without having to
	reboot the system - unfortunately, some incompatibilities
	earlier TCP/IP apps remain.

                            - The Dream -

  / ) /   o            /  ) o     /        NASA/Ames Research Center, CA
 /   /   , ,__   __   /  / , __  /, __      dream@paisley.arc.nasa.gov,
(___/ )_(_/ ) )_(_<  /  /_/_(_<_/\_(_<___ chima_njaka@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov
                         /