Subject: Re: IIsi installer/running error(s)
To: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/14/1996 22:43:37

> I had installed netbsd 1.0 before with no errors, but removed it due to
> need for HD space. Until then I was reading the mailing list.. then I came
> out a few days ago asking about the availibility of NetBSD 1.1 on CD-ROM. I
> was told about Infomagic offering it, so I ordered it. During installation,
> and after running netbsd1.1 (release, not current) I got a few bugs.

Welcome back!

> First while running Mkfs I got the following error:
> Error on SCSIRead(),#5
>
> Then while running Install I got:
> Error on SCSIComplete(), #10

Possibly not important. I think I always get the #5 error. One is
probably ok.

> I am using a PowerUser 80mb (which has a Seagate HD in it) to install
> netbsd. I also have an internal HD and a CD-ROM on the scsi chain but no
> terminator and I am not sure if the CDrom or the PowerUser was terminating
> correctly. So I just continued installing. After installing the man11,
> etc11, base11 and netbsd11 I ran the Booter 1.8 with out any problems.
>
> Once I entered the root drive (sd1) and chose the shell (sh) I proceeded to
> type the following commands:
>
> cd /etc
> mkdir ppp
>
> Then I got:
> mkdir: ppp: Read-only file system
>
> So I read the man of 'mount' and tried 'mount -w'. Netbsd responeded with:
> ufs: /dev/sd2a on /: specified device does not match mounted device.
>
> I also tried fsck (I think that's the command) and got something saying the
> device was not configured. (Can't open /dev/rsd2a: Device not configured)
>
> I would appreciate any help, and below is the hardware I am using:

What are the scsi id's? Is the CDROM numbered between the two hard disks?

There's a bug in the installer; it doesn't know that CDROMs are cd's,
not sd's. So if you have (in accending SCSI ID)

Thing:		Installer ID	NetBSD ID
Drive A		sd0		sd0
CD		sd1		cd0
Drive B		sd2		sd1

So the generated /etc/fstab comes out wrong.

Watch the messages about found SCSI devices at boot time. Find the
message for your drive, and make sure that /etc/fstab points to the
right place.

cpout /etc/fstab, change the sd2a to sd1a, cpin it, and you should be set.
You should also be able to mount /dev/sd1a / (is my syntac correct?);
have mount not look in /etc/fstab. Then just vi it.

Could some kind, gentle, MacOS utility maintainer teach the installer about
cd's and st's? This bug comes up often!

Take care,

Bill