Subject: Re: X window setup
To: Don Woodward Jr. <dbwoodw@earthlink.net>
From: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 04/08/1996 20:37:54
At 18:50 7/4/96, Don Woodward Jr. wrote:
>I have this same problem and xconsole did not help.

That's because the person logging in needs to be the owner of console for
that to work - and unless you log in as root (tut tut) that's not normally
the case.

The way round that I think is to let X run your logins too (not being a
hardened unix bod, I forget the name of the X prog that does this!) and on
login, let it chown console to $USER or whatever for that session, then
Xconsole works. Is it xdm? Wish I could remember these things...

Otherwise, I run a small windowed "xterm -C" (I think), which should
redirect console messages to that window. Cos otherwise, as I found,
console message appear anyway, and corrupt my display...!

Somehow, using xterm -C, it now seems to work, though it didn't always.
*sigh*

Fun, huh?

if it's only you using the machine, see what happens if you chown teh
console to yourself ;-) (lemme guess, way bad idea?)

John.

                     "It's not a Bug(TM) it's a Feature"

 ["Bug" is a registered trademark of Microsloth Corp. All wrongs reserved]

    +-+-+ Admin on Monochrome (telnet 138.40.17.10 for more details) +-+-+
                  Email tugs@mono.org || happy@dircon.co.uk