Subject: Re: Ethernet card status report
To: Josh Moyer <jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/29/1996 19:43:46
>Actually, I think about 3 or 4 of us are running it on LC 520/550's.  It's
>been a while since I checked the NetBSD mac68k User Survey page, though.
>
>Thanks for the tips, though.  BTW, Julian Bean says he's working on "it."
>Unfortunately he didn't specify what "it" was :-(

:-)

I should think most people on port-mac68k are heartily sick of hearing from
me, but I am working on finding out why the LCIII class machines cannot use
ethernet cards, and solving the problem.

The problem appears to be something relatively "trivial" about interrupt
handling, rather than anything more fundamental about actually talking the
card in the first place (everyone affected agrees that the booting
correctly get things like cache memory from the card).

However, this doesn't make it all that easy to fix, since I currently have
no knowledge about VIA handling at all.

Personally, my next line of attack is going to be to boot my machine into
MacOS and trawl around the ethernet stuff with MacsBug.  Wish me luck.

If anyone out there with a similar set-up has anything to add (like you're
the man who originally implement VIA on the LCIII and you'd just love to
recode it for me, for example) then please mail me about it.

Yours,

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |