Subject: Re: Ethernet card status report
To: None <foo@bar.net>
From: Josh Moyer <jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/29/1996 08:10:58
[snip]
>> Chipset: DP830902AV, with 64K(?!) of RAM (if I'm reading the RAM chips
>> correctly - there are two of them, both labelled MS62256L-70)
>> Kernel Crashes at:
>> ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:45:1f:6c, type MacCon LC III, 32k mem
>
>MS62256L-70 sounds like a low-power 256kbit SRAM chip with 70ns access
>time.  256kbits = 32kbytes, so I think the ae driver got it right.

Right, 256kbits = 32kbytes.  However, there are two of the RAM chips and
the last time I checked 32x2=64.  I could be wrong though - I never have
been good with math :-).

[snip...Josh thought it was the same problem experienced by an LC III user]
>I'm not sure if it's hung because of the Ethernet card.  What SCSI
>chip does the LC520 have?  It seems to me that the kernel should probe
>for the SCSI chip after probing the Ethernet, and it's hung right
>there.
I have had the system running (serial console only) since late
November-ish.  The hangs only occur when I decide to put the card back in
to see if it has automagically fixed itself.  No luck yet :-(

[snip]
>The thing is, you are one of the very first people who actually tried
>NetBSD on the LC520.  So, nobody really knows the answer quite yet.

Actually, I think about 3 or 4 of us are running it on LC 520/550's.  It's
been a while since I checked the NetBSD mac68k User Survey page, though.

Thanks for the tips, though.  BTW, Julian Bean says he's working on "it."
Unfortunately he didn't specify what "it" was :-(

  SMTP/MIME:  jmoyer@genesis.tiac.net  |   Show your dogcow that you love it;
    http://genesis.tiac.net/jmoyer/    |     give it a can of Mountain Dew.