Subject: Re: port working for 68040 yet?
To: Dave Goodwin - Tech Support <goodwin@Interpath.net>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1996 09:16:23
> I was reading over the info about the mac68k port on the www.netbsd.org
> pages, and the info may or not be outdated, but it seems that NetBSD will
> not work on 040 chips yet.  Is this true?  I have a Centris 650.

Some people successfully booted NetBSD/mac68k (aka MacBSD) on their
040 based Mac, with serial console, ramdisk mini-root, no networking,
no SCSI access, and no keyboard.  So, MacBSD is capable of running on
a 040 based Mac.  The problem is, we don't enough documentations to
write device drivers for the SCSI, the ADB, etc.

> Also, I just had a general question.  I've never installed UNIX on a Mac
> before, and I have *no* idea what it would be like.

> Does System Software even boot once you have NetBSD running, or
> what?

When you execute "shutdown -r" in multi-user mode or "reboot" in
single-user mode, it reboots the box and MacOS will start again.  In
fact, you have to boot MacBSD from a MacOS application called Booter.

> Do I need a LILO disk?

I'm not sure what a LILO disk is.  I vaguely remember reading the word
in Linux newsgroups, so I assume it's Linux related, though.  No, you
don't need anything like that.

> Would the ROMs in my box interfere with NetBSD booting?

Actually, yes.  Or more precisely, MacBSD can't boot correctly if you
are running MacOS with virtual memory enabled, RAMDoubler enabled,
and/or 32-bit addressing mode disabled.

> Or does it actually run under MacOS?

Nope.

> Also, is NetBSD similar to other CLI programs?  Particularly Linux.

Someone told me CLI stands for Command Line Interface...  MacBSD has a
GUI; X11R6.  Anyway, MacBSD is a lot closer to Linux than it is to
MacOS or DOS.

> That, btw, is why I'm looking into all this -- I wanna get as close
> to possible to Linux with my Mac.

Hm, why?  They are both a flavor of UN*X, right?  If you are so picky
on UN*X flavors, then you might find MacBSD not as colorful as Linux.
Some features of Linux, such as DOS-ish look&feel, graphic library
with direct hardware access to VGA, and colored ls, are missed by some
but considered distasteful by others.

> Anyway, I just basically have no idea what installing UNIX on a
> machine with Mac ROMs will do; or how it will act.

Mac running NetBSD/mac68k simply becomes a UN*X box.  It's that
simple!

ken