Subject: Re: file system problem...
To: Jell-O <wookie@us.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1996 19:33:03

> When I'm just about done booting-up, the fsck runs and says
> that /dev/sd2a is not clean.  So I run fsck and the file system gets marked
> as being clean.  I reboot and the same thing happens.  What to do?
>
> Also, I'm currently only using one hard disk which is my root device.  It's
> labelled as /dev/sd2a.  From what I've seen in the past, most root devices
> are usually /dev/sd0a.  Is this a sign of a problem? or not?

Hmm. About sd2a: If you have two other hard disks, w/ lower scsi #'s,
on the chain, then sd2a is right.

About fsck: On my machine, fsck fixes the root partition automatically
on boot. If you want to manually fix it, you must boot in single-user
mode & fsck it there.

In single-user mode, the file system should be coming up as read-only.
Keep it that way while you fsck, and then you won't get any "Reboot
Now" messages. They come from the fact the disk was changed, and is
now correct. If the file system is r/w, there might be data in the
system buffers which will get written to disk, yielding a re-corrupted
file system.

Take care,

Bill