Subject: Re: Xwindows woes
To: Boudreault Benoit <boudreab@ERE.UMontreal.CA>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1996 16:19:19
[I slightly edited the quoted part]
> I have been attempting to make X work on my IIvi, using the
> new Xserver from Ken Nakata (well newest that i know of) It sadly
> doesnt work, i have tried using every trick in the book (mkfontdir
> and a few others) but to no avail, it currently complains about not
> having its 'fixed' fonts altho i installed all of the fonts in their
> proper directory.

Actually, I can't say much with this much of information.  Did you just
untar the X distribution, or did you do something else?  Are the files
under /usr/X11R6/?  How did you install the fonts?

> 1- does Xmacbsd support compressed fonts?

Nope.  It wouldn't take too long to implement it, though.

> 2- anyone has any ideas why it would complain about missing fonts
> when they are physically there?

Do you have proper "fonts.dir" file and "fonts.alias" file?  Some
applications might call fonts with their aliases.  See "man mkfontdir"
for more details.

ken