Subject: Re: Sup errors
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/1996 20:26:46

>> Well, I thought that the new serial drivers would allow me to complete a
>> sup without errors.
>>
>> No such luck.
>>
>> After about 5 '100 hz hours' - 8 hours or so - my sup process complained
>> network connection reset by peer; write error.  And then aborted.
>>
>> This is exactly the same symptoms as I had before, which I ascribed to
>> lousy serial drivers.
>
>Check the logs. Particularly /var/log/info. If it's full of
>zs0a fifo overruns or zs0a ring overruns, you've got serial port
>problems. Actually, with the new drivers, these errors would mean
>something's camping out with interrupts off for a while.
>
>If you see no complaints about serial errors, you probably have a problem
>which crops up from time to time on current-users. Some of the ISP's
>have problems with certain data patterns in the sup file, and choke
>on the transmission.

OK I had it again, on the just after

" SUP Updating file src/sys/kern/exec_ecoff.c"

I got:

SUP: Read error on network: Connection reset by peer
SUP: Permature EOF on network input
SUP: Network write timed out
SUP: Network write timed out

on stderr and then

SUP: upgrade of current-ksrc-common aborted at Feb 22 19:37:40 1996
(It was actually more like 20:20, but my clock is 100hz)
SUP: Aborted

And it then quite successfully updated ksrc-mac68k and doc.

I am now running it again to see if the error is consistently on that file.

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |