Subject: Re: Virtual(?) hostnames
To: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/1996 09:21:35

> Does anyone know if MacBSD will support Virtual hostnames (I may have that
> term wrong.  The idea is that you have two hostnames for the same machine.
> If one name is used, then one set of inet services is used, if the other
> name is used, then another set is used.)

I think you are talking about aliasing, of which there are two kinds.
There's name-space aliasing, which you don't want, and IP address aliasing.
The former's where multiple names will resolve to the same IP address, and
the latter's where one net interface (one Ethernet card, or whatever)
will respond to multiple IP addresses.

> I believe BSDi386 does, though I don't know specifically how they are doing it.
> At any rate, I believe they have a web server that will go to a specific
> directory based upon the hostname used.  Is this a function of the web
> server?
>
> Oh well, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know if it
> can be done under MacBSD.  I'd like something that supports more services
> than just http.

My vague understanding of these things is that when a service is
connecting to the net (like a web server), it can make a special
request to be connected to only one of the addresses. Or, it might be
able to connect regularly, and get the IP address as part of the
connection open, and act accordingly. I think current-users would be a
better avenue for this question. More gurus there.

Take care,

Bill