Subject: Further Firewall Good News
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/1996 00:21:37
Sean, (Tank)
        Another sign of a working firewall under MacBSD:  I just set up the
plug-gateway for TIS to pass POP3 and SMTP packets to my University mail
account, and Eudora (a pop mailer prog for Mac and Windows) works fine
(that is assuming you get this message!)

I can't speak for other firewalling software, but TIS fwtk seems to work
quite well. The only problem I can see is that for services not directly
supported by a proxy, you have to use the plug-gateway which locks the path
to a specific host.  My wife wouldn't be able to use Eudora to get her
mail, as her mail is on a different machine from mine.  In my case,
however, she doesn't like Eudora, so it doesn't matter too much.

Of course, source is supplied, so you could write your own proxys if you
need more generic support.

TIS promotes the plug-gw for services like nntp, which for most people will
only be to one machine anyway.

It also doesn't handle UDP packets, so stuff like Real Audio won't work
from any machine but the internet host (the firewall).

At any rate, the fwtk works well enough for my needs that I will be getting
Ethernet cards soon for three separate machines and routing them all
through the IIx running MacBSD.

Aaron

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{