Subject: Re: MO drive hookup
To: Dirk Smulders <Dirk.Smulders@ping.be>
From: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1996 14:58:12
>Is there anyone who could help me further with this problem.  Removable
>storage would really be apprecited by me as my hard disc  is only 150Mb.

If I tell you wrong informations, I would say sorry.  The followings are
true with Fujitsu M2512A drive and I did test only 'mkfs' and
'mini-shell'. Therefore it might be wrong in M2511.

M2511 drive has dipswitches, that select drive mode; mode 1 is hard disk
mode and 7 is removal disk mode.  These will be found on bare drive, I
think.  I will be sorry I don't know exact meaning of each switches.
The drive I tested has another dip switches on the bottom of the
exterior case, these seems to be wired to some of dip switches on bare drive.

In Japan, I heard that MO-drive, in which Fujitsu's drive is used, can be
used with SUN's workstation.  When doing so, it is critical that whether
drive mode is 7 or 1; mode must be 1 because of the device driver
'/dev/sdxx' is not compatible with removal type.

Recently I was requested to install MO-drive to SUN's SS10 and I could.
The disadvantage of hard-disk mode (mode 1) seems the MO needs 'root'
to mount/umount it.

After reading your message, I lent another MO-drive and tested.
'Mkfs' was OK with HD mode.

Please try to do so.

Mamoru Yamanishi
yama@radical.biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp,
and also yama@cc.okayama-u.ac.jp, JBC00072@niftyserve.or.jp,
or YAMA24.GCJ@applelink.apple.com

Tel: +81-86-251-8196, Fax: +81-86-253-7399(GIII type)

Department of Biotechnology
Faculty of Engineering
Okayama University
Tsushima-Naka, Okayama 700