Subject: Re: Puny Mac II, FPU, MMU
To: David G. Wonnacott <davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu>
From: Thomas Bjorn Andersen <bjorn@daimi.aau.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1996 23:52:59
>Thanks for pointing me to the MMU.  TechTool tells me that I have
>
>   MMU Type: AMU

I'm not sure, but I think this is the Apple custom memory management chip,
it is *not* the same as the "real" MMU.

>and when I looked inside I saw a socket with "68851" printed next to
>it and a black chip with "copyright 1986 Apple computer" printed on
>it.  Although I'm not sure why this would show up as "FPU trap 16",

No-one ever said error messages had to be meaningfull ;-)

>it does look like a bad sign if I need the true 68851 to run MacBSD.
>Is it time for me to give up with this machine?  I don't have the
>machine in front of me; I'm not sure whether that chip was in a
>socket or not...

Well, you do need the chip to run MacBSD. Unix needs a MMU to do it's SWAP
(virtual memory) magic. If you don't have the chip, you can either buy one
from your local electronics or computers store, or get another machine to
run Unix on :-(

Best regards,
Thomas

Thomas Bjorn Andersen - bjorn@daimi.aau.dk
http://www.daimi.aau.dk/~bjorn/
I want to be different, like everybody else I want to be like
I want to be just like all the different people...