Subject: Re: How to PPP?
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1996 19:38:23
On Sat, 17 Feb 1996, Ken Nakata wrote:

> There is no single PPP configuration file because it largely depends
> on the following things:
>
> 	* How your system is connected to the Net (a dedicated serial
> 	connection, or a dial-up modem connection, etc.)
>
> 	* How you log in before connecting (what prompts to expect
> 	before sending login name and password, or whether or not
> 	PAP is used, etc.)
>
> 	* How you connect after logging in (you are automagically
> 	connected after logging in, or you have to issue a command
> 	to connect, etc.)
>
> For a starter, try pppd and chat man pages.
>
> ken

In the interest of posing useless questions that won't ever affect me,
are there any standardized scripts to model off of?  I know there are
variations because of various servers, but the differences would be
tweaks rather than writing something from scratch.  I assume that
something like this exists somewhere, but perhaps it should be FAQ
material.

BTW, where is the most recent FAQ?  The link to the copy on Cray-ymp is,
as expected, no loger valid, but it's the only one on www.netbsd.org and
there are about 14 "info" links on puma, none of which get me to anything
that resembles a FAQ list.

Just curious,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |