Subject: Re: Netatalk vs CAP and Mac II vs. IIx
To: Todd Ferris <tferris@umich.edu>
From: David Hornsby <djh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1996 10:27:33
> From: tferris@umich.edu (Todd Ferris)
> If Netatalk doesn't work, what about CAP?  I saw one message on the list
> regarding CAP.  Does it compile "out of the box"?  Is there anyway to
> attach a localtalk printer?  or do you need to attach via serial cable?

Enclosed is a copy of a response I posted to a similar question. You would
need to use the serial cable and make the printer work under lpr, then you
could use CAP's lwsrv to make it visible to other EtherTalk Macs.

> > Date: Sat, 16 Sep 1995 22:12:50 +1000
> > From: David Hornsby <djh@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
> > Sender: owner-port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> >
> > CAP support for NetBSD 1.0 (at least the mac68k version) was added
> > in CAP patch number 195. It compiles and runs fine here on a Mac IIx
> > running 1.0 with slightly hacked networking code. There is no reason
> > that it should not work on more recent kernels, I just haven't tried it.
> >
> > CAP patch info etc. info is available in
> >
> > 	ftp://munnari.OZ.AU/mac/CAP.faq
> > 	http://www.cs.mu.OZ.AU/appletalk/atalk.html

> 2)  How much of a speed difference is there between running NetBSD on a Mac
> II and a Mac IIx?  I am contemplating the cost of a PMMU vs. a new
> motherboard...

I can't answer the question directly, but would like to suggest that if
you have any opportunity to put the money towards a faster 68030 platform
then it would be worth it. A Mac IIx isn't the worlds fastest UNIX machine

	% /usr/bin/time cc -o world world.c
	        9.33 real         3.75 user         4.67 sys
	% /usr/bin/time ./world
	hello world
	        1.05 real         0.18 user         0.30 sys

But on the definite plus side, it's just about the most reliable host
around here, in daily use

10:16AM  up 272 days, 15:21, 3 users, load averages: 0.25, 0.24, 0.24

 - David.