Subject: Re: Netatalk vs CAP and Mac II vs. IIx
To: Todd Ferris <tferris@umich.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1996 12:47:26
> 1)  Has anyone been successful in getting Netatalk to work?  When I read
> the description "netatalk is an implementation of the AppleTalk Protocol
> Suite for BSD-derived Unix systems", I thought that it might work with
> NetBSD...  Has anyone tried it out?
>
> If Netatalk doesn't work, what about CAP?  I saw one message on the list
> regarding CAP.  Does it compile "out of the box"?  Is there anyway to
> attach a localtalk printer?  or do you need to attach via serial cable?

NetBSD/mac68k does not currently support localtalk. So you either need
to use a serial cable, or, if you have the machines, run an eternet
connection out of NetBSD to a MacOS mac which is running the lpd
daemon, and is hooked to the localtalk printer.

>From the sound of your comments, you only have one machine, so
the serial cable would be the best bet.

Take care,

Bill