Subject: Re: Still trying to boot multiuser
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1996 10:35:43
On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Leo Weppelman wrote:

> > [...]  The permissions were:
> >
> > br-S--S--- 1 768    1792   96,   0 July 24  1926  swapon
> >
> > the other two were similar.
>
> Looks like your filesystem is severely corrupted. Time to reload the
> backup tape I'm afraid :-(
> Probably some junk ended up in the diskblock containing i-nodes...

In my case, that's exactly what it was.  I had this happen to me 4 times
in the space of 3 weeks, and I found a correlation between accessing my
CD-ROM and this kind of corruption (this is all back in
September/October).

I developed the `sbc' driver specifically for this purpose, and I haven't
had any filesystem corruption since.  I haven't tried the `ncrscsi'
driver lately, since I don't have a working tape drive to restore things
in the event of a crash. :-(

--scott