Subject: PPP dialing?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tim Schmidt <schmidt.180@osu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1996 19:57:47
I know you're probably sick of hearing about PPP, but I am a bit stuck.  I got
the scripts posted a while back by Bill Studenmund, and modified them slightly
for my system (just phone number, username, password variables).  I also added
"debug kdebug 1" to /etc/ppp/options, as someone else suggested.

When I type "/etc/ppp/ppp-up" I see:

connecting...done
Feb 13 10:35:20 tiger pppd[138]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0

After that, nothing happens.  I don't think the modem is even touched.
When I do "ps -x" I see:

PID TT  STAT   TIME COMMAND
  0 ??  DLs 0:00.02 (swapper)
  1 ??  Is  0:00.38 /sbin/init
  2 ??  DL  0:00.02 (pagedaemon)
 33 ??  Is  0:00.20 portmap
 40 ??  Ss  0:01.59 syslogd
 53 ??  Ss  0:00.63 update
 55 ??  Is  0:00.41 cron
 59 ??  Ss  0:00.13 routed -q
 63 ??  Is  0:00.31 lpd
 66 ??  Is  0:00.79 inetd
138 ??  Is  0:00.21 pppd /dev/tty00 9600 connect /etc/ppp/ppp-connect /etc/ppp/
139 ??  I   0:00.18 sh -c /etc/ppp/ppp-connect /etc/ppp/ppp-numbers /etc/ppp/pp
140 ??  S   0:00.61 /bin/sh /etc/ppp/ppp-connect /etc/ppp/ppp-numbers /etc/ppp/
159 ??  S   0:00.51 chat  /tmp/ppp-report   /tmp/chat-script
 81 e0  Ss  0:09.15 -tcsh (tcsh)
161 e0  R+  0:00.23 ps -x

What is the next step?  /tmp/ppp-report shows only a bunch of lines of
"Closing "/tmp/ppp-report"."  I don't know why.  /tmp/chat-script has all the
proper variables substituted for, so that would not seem to be a problem.
Since I had to enter the phone number, userid and password, I would assume
it's going to dial for me.  Is this not true?  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Semi-unrelated question:  When you use tip to dial a modem, and set the
connection to SLIP, ctrl-z out of the process and do slattach, etc, how do you
later hang up the modem?  Killing the tip process does nothing.  Getting back
into the tip process and typing anything at all gets you a "cannot write to
device" error or some such and completely traps the console.  Anything else
I should try?

Completely unrelated question:  I've seen people mention using a "panic button"
when their system goes haywire.  It doesn't sound like they're referring to
the old three-finger-salute (command-control-reset), so what is it?

Thanks,
  Tim

______ Tim Schmidt ______
The Ohio State University // Doc: Are you troubled by impure thoughts?
schmidt.180@osu.edu // Patient: To tell the truth, I rather enjoy them!