Subject: Re: IIsi installer/running error(s)
To: Victor Jimenez <vjimenez@awod.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/1996 16:24:07
On Fri, 12 Apr 1996, Victor Jimenez wrote:

> I had installed netbsd 1.0 before with no errors, but removed it due to
> need for HD space. Until then I was reading the mailing list.. then I came
> out a few days ago asking about the availibility of NetBSD 1.1 on CD-ROM. I
> was told about Infomagic offering it, so I ordered it. During installation,
> and after running netbsd1.1 (release, not current) I got a few bugs.
>
> First while running Mkfs I got the following error:
> Error on SCSIRead(),#5

That's pretty normal on many drives.

> Then while running Install I got:
> Error on SCSIComplete(), #10

That's not normal, but I don't have a clue what it means....

> I am using a PowerUser 80mb (which has a Seagate HD in it) to install
> netbsd. I also have an internal HD and a CD-ROM on the scsi chain but no
> terminator and I am not sure if the CDrom or the PowerUser was terminating
> correctly. So I just continued installing. After installing the man11,
> etc11, base11 and netbsd11 I ran the Booter 1.8 with out any problems.

Yeah... you should have a terminator on one port of the PowerUser unless
it's hardwired for internal termination.  That could have caused the above
problem.

> Once I entered the root drive (sd1) and chose the shell (sh) I proceeded to
> type the following commands:
>
> cd /etc
> mkdir ppp
>
> Then I got:
> mkdir: ppp: Read-only file system
>
> So I read the man of 'mount' and tried 'mount -w'. Netbsd responeded with:
> ufs: /dev/sd2a on /: specified device does not match mounted device.
>
> I also tried fsck (I think that's the command) and got something saying the
> device was not configured. (Can't open /dev/rsd2a: Device not configured)

Wait a minute.  Whoa!  The root drive is sd1?  Let's see, the internal
hard drive is sd0 (SCSI ID#0), the CD-ROM drive is sd1 (SCSI ID#3), and
the external drive should be sd2 (SCSI ID#4,5,6) unless you've got the
external hard drive set to be SCSI ID #1 or #2.

The External CD ROM  drive is always on, right?

If you boot with the CD-ROM drive off, it will only detect the external
hard drive and will mount it as sd1.  If the CD-ROM drive is on, it will
be detected and bump the external HD up to sd2.  Try booting with the
CD-ROM drive on.  If you want to permanently get rid of this problem, try
changing the SCSI ID for your external HD to SCSI ID#1 or #2 so that it's
a lower number than the CD-ROM drive.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |