Subject: Still trying to boot multiuser
To: macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Adam Forsyth <forsytad@martin.luther.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/1996 10:40:45
I have a few new things to ask about on my quest to boot macbsd in
multiuser mode, but first the heres the background:

My System: PowerBook 165, 14 megs of ram, 130 meg BSD partition on an EZ disk
Kernel: a special one for the PB made by Walter R.

It boots fine in single user mode, but when it is booted multiuser it
says the following:

Swapon: permission denied
umount: permission denied
setting ttyflags
ttyflags: permission denied
starting network
adding host myname.my.domain: gateway localhost
starting rpc daemons:portmap
starting system logger, time daemontimed:
no network usable.
.
and then it jus freezes.

My problem led me to look for swapon, umount, and ttyflags.  since
permission is denied them early on, I can't help thinking this is at
least part of the problem.  I located them in the sbin directory.  I
cannot run them from the shell either.  Looking at the access priveledges
for them, forms the basis of my question.  The permissions were:

br-S--S--- 1 768    1792   96,   0 July 24  1926  swapon

the other two were similar.

is that the proper setting?  It looks odd to me.  and why is the date of
the file 1926?  If anyone has a chance, could you look at the priveledges
of those files on your system, and tell me if they are different from
what mine says.

Thanks

,oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
0       Adam Forsyth        0                                0
0  Luther College SPO 713   0   e-mail: forsytad@luther.edu  0
0    Decorah IA  52101      0    phone: (319) 387-2489       0
0oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo0
0    web: http://www.lookup.com/Homepages/73086/home.html    0
`oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo'