Subject: Re: Help setting up access to name server...
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1996 20:36:58
>> In theory, with BSD/resolv, it should be possibly to access the fake
>>nameserver
>> '0.0.0.0' which is the current machine - I can't myself get this to work.
>> I use 127.0.0.1 and it works fine for me.
>
>To quote from the UNIX System Administration Handbook, 2nd ed.:
>
>If a host is itself a name server, it should be the first host listed.
>Use the actual IP address instead of the loopback address (127.0.0.1).
>A bug in the BSD netwoking code can cause problems if the loopback
>address is used.  Each host listed must be running a recursive name
>server; the resolver doesn't follow referrals.
>
>Of course, this might have just applied to BSD 4.3, not BSD 4.4

Can anyone confirm whether or not this bug applies in 4.4?  I seem to
remember that puma runs with nameserver 127.0.0.1....

>> > named for the resolver to work.  It's a little late and I got named and
>> > BIND confused.
>>
>> Um - surely they are one and the same - or rather named is based on the
>>Berkeley
>> Internet Name Daemon - BIND?
>>

>BIND - Berkeley Internet Name Domain system.  Not actually named ;-)
OH.  Well, it is also what they call the package which they distribute the
software as.

I'm even more confused than you were, it seems ;-)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |