Subject: Re: Help setting up access to name server...
To: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1996 03:33:26
> named shouldn't be running with that resolv.conf. There are possible
> performance advantages in running named, in that it could be used as a local
> cache, but if you wanted to do that, you'd want the nameserver line to be
> 127.0.0.1, localhost so that you queried your nameserver, otherwise it would
> never be used.

Actually, I've read that setting it to 127.0.0.1 is a bad idea, it would
be better to set it to your own IP address, assuming you have a static one.

> Then, you would probably want a forwarders line in named.boot to tell your
> running named to ask the real name server for the things you didn't already
> know (but then again, maybe you wouldn't :)
>
> The simple client configuration is to have the resolv.conf as above, but not
> running named.

Sorry, you're right about this.  You don't actually need to be running
named for the resolver to work.  It's a little late and I got named and
BIND confused.