Subject: Re: Still no luck with mounting root
To: Wayland Smith <alannon@cafe.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1996 12:25:53

> 	Okay, to date, I have tried 6 different kernels, including one
> compiled for me by scottr, and we have worked out that it's NOT the scsi
> problem people have been having before. It's on a 3 gig drive, and I have
> only 2 a/ux partitions on it (scottr made it clear that only a/ux
> partitions count in NetBSD's limit of 8).  here's a recap of the error I get.
>
> changing root device to sd1a
> (next line I get depending on the version of the kernel, later ones give it)
> sd1(ncrscsi 0:3:0) Does not support linked commands.
> panic: cannot mount root

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't the problem stated in the
error message? The drive doesn't support linked commands. (Are these
the tagged commands current-users has been babbling about?) The driver
wants the drive to do something (linked commands) which the drive doesn't.

Not knowing scsi innards, I can't help more. Do you get to the line
where you identify the drive? Something like:

sd1 at scsibus0: {drive particulars}
 targ 3 lun0: <Drive maker's name> SCSI# 0/direct fixed

??

Take care,

Bill