Subject: LCIII Ethernet
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1996 17:59:16
Evening all.

I have been doing some ferreting (sp?) around my Dev CDs, and have come to the
following conclusions:

The LCIII PDS slot (which is what my ethernet card is connected to) is
faked out by the slot manager to slot 0xE (physical slot 6, I believe).

BSD can see it, and glancing over at my boot messages confirms that NetBSD
thinks it is on nubus0: slot e: MacCon LC - A (Vendor: Asante Technologies
Inc., Part: MacCon LC -a A)

Asante cards are theoretically supported by the existing
arch/mac68k/dev/if_ae.c, so that's not the problem.  (It's not a SONIC
chip)

So the problem is probably some fairly minor issue about the way the PDS
slot pretends to be on a NuBus.

Once I have the set-up for kernel compilation, and I have the ability to
compile running kernels (i.e. I have jpw's diffs for LCIII adb) I will
crack this one.  Meanwhile:

If anyone thinks I'm badly wrong on any of the above, please mail me so I
don't spend too long in any blind alleys.

If anyone has a PDS mac (LC series, some Performas) on which NetBSD can
talk to the ethernet, please mail me.

And finally, if there's anyone out there who had a hand in/understands well
the NetBSD slots/ethernet code who wouldn't mind answering any questions I
will undoubtedly have, I would appreciate it if they'd get in touch.

Thanks all,

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |