Subject: Re: Recompiling NetBSD including kernel
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1996 10:40:36
> I am confused.  I assumed that the source tarballs included everything.  Is
> there anything else not in the source tarballs required to compile?

The source tarballs contain the sources under /usr/src--one subdir per
tarball.  The Makefile isn't part of any subdir, so it's not in a tarball.

> Should I be reading this all in some docs rather than flooding the list?
> If so, which ones?

I don't think it's documented anywhere except in current-users archives.

> I will be setting up sup to track -current.  The problem is, my LCIII isn't
> on the 'net until I set up PPP, which seems to be a hasslesome task.

If you have a current kernel, some knowledge of PPP (which I assume you
do if you administer your ISP's system ;-), and the man pages, it should
not be too hard.

> When trying to compile gcc 2.7.2 with 2.4.5 last night it compiled quite a
> few files (10 or 15, I guess) and then broke with errors about sys_errlist:

Ah.  That's since been fixed.  You should be able to get the required
definitions from errno.h.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **