Subject: Re: Recompiling NetBSD including kernel
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1996 13:06:05
>> ># cd /usr/src ; make build
>> I don't seem to have a /usr/src/Makefile - did I miss a tarball?
>
>Nope.  /usr/src/Makefile isn't in a tarball.  Check out the untarred
>sources (also on ftp.netbsd.org).

[...]
>> Ahh... where do I get that from, then?  And what was sys.tar.gz (expanded
>> to /usr/src/sys).
>
>There are tarballs for sources.  If you have sys.tar.gz, you have at
>least one of them.  I didn't know what tarballs you were referring to.

I am confused.  I assumed that the source tarballs included everything.  Is
there anything else not in the source tarballs required to compile?

Should I be reading this all in some docs rather than flooding the list?
If so, which ones?

I will be setting up sup to track -current.  The problem is, my LCIII isn't
on the 'net until I set up PPP, which seems to be a hasslesome task.  I
then have to persuade my provider to give me a static dial-up (not
impossible, since I administer my ISP's system ;-).  Maybe I should do that
before i start kernel-hacking, though.  I was sort of vaguely waiting for
the PPP how-to to materialise.

When trying to compile gcc 2.7.2 with 2.4.5 last night it compiled quite a
few files (10 or 15, I guess) and then broke with errors about sys_errlist:

# cd /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2
===> common
===> cc
cc -O -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc/../common
-I /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/../arch -I/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc2/cc/../arch/m68k
-c gcc.c
gcc.c: In function `pfatal_with_name':
gcc.c:4013: `sys_nerr' undeclared (first use this function)
gcc.c:4013: (Each undeclared identifier...
gcc.c:4014: `sys_errlist' undeclared

And also trouble with the same two identifiers in perror_with_name and
perror_exec

Looks like include file trouble to me.  Funny thing is, I have done a cd
/usr/src/include ; make install, which appeared to work fine.

Am I going to get this to work, or do I give up and download the latest
binary tarballs (bearing in mind how much work that is for me...)

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |