Subject: Serial Ports, PPP, and kernels
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1996 00:12:28
My first post, so be gentle, please ;-)

Ok, a couple of questions...
First of all, in case it matters anywhere, I am running 1.1-current (as of
Feb 1 I believe) on a Mac IIx w/ 8m of ram.

1> Is there anyway to get some sort of handshaking support for pppd that
actually works?  I think I read somewhere that hardware handshaking doesn't
work, and I'll attest to the fact... it doesn't... unless I've missed
something (I can't find where I read it originally...)

Currently I am running ppp on both serial ports, one to a PowerMac 7500,
and one to a 28.8 modem which then connects to an internet provider, and
then using FWTK to allow the PowerMac access to the internet (I only get 1
IP address... time to look for a new provider!)  Eventually I'll be
changing the connection to the PowerMac to an EtherNet connection, but for
now...

Everything works, but transfer rates (esp FTP and HTTP) slow to a crawl
when large files are transferred, and the syslog shows a lot of zd0b and
zd0a overruns...

Even XON/XOFF handshaking would be ok if I can just figure out how to turn
it on  (if it is supported)

(Enough info?  Too much? ;-)

2> I hear people mention kernels like GENERIC#52, 1.1A, etc.  Where can
kernels other than just 1.1 or 1.0 be found?  So far I've only located the
latter two.  Where can I find a list of what the various differences are?

3> Is there any way to get the port-mac68k list in a digested format?  I
don't see an option in the help file, but I may have missed something.

4> I had a question about a serial console, but I believe if I just disable
ttye0, it should work... I'll write more on that if I need to latter.

5> How does sup work?  Does it download everything, or just changed files?
I pay a hefty fee for phone use, so this is an important consideration for
me!

6> Are there plans for supporting XDM?  If not, in a couple of months I may
want to start working on it.  Who should I contact concerning this?

Ok, so it was more than a couple of questions!

Thanks for any help.

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{