Subject: Re: Need Help!
To: Uncle John <happy@dircon.co.uk>
From: Steve Weiss <srw@hvcn.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 21:26:51
At 11:01 AM 2/10/96, Colin Wood wrote:

>> (1) Which is the latest/best kernel binaries around for the IIci? I was
>> using the generic_50 from wormey, tried the, erm, 51 I think, but it hung
>> when it had booted up. I think the 51 was supposed to fix the ring overruns
>> wasn't it or soemthign? So - anybody able to suggest the best kernel?
>> (willing to try a couple if necessary).
>
>I think Allen Briggs had a kernel on puma that worked the best, but I'm
>not sure what it is called or where exactly it is.

Yes, Allen built netbsd.please.test on Feb 4 and asked those people on the
list who were having trouble with SCSI hangs and ethernet hangs to try it.
It contains a fix to the bug I discovered in the Apple Ethernet drivers
which causes it to hang with some cards when the tally counters overflow.
The time required to fail is a function of traffic on the segment, and it
doesn't seem to affect all cards.

It also contains improved delay code, but I know nothing about that.

I have been running it on my erstwhile problematical Mac IIci for the last
week without any hangs. I'm very happy with this kernel, but remember it is
a "testing" kernel.

You can find it here:
ftp://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/pub/outgoing/briggs/netbsd.please.test

I think it's the last kernel Allen built which would be appropriate for the
IIci.

-srw
 Steven R. Weiss   |    srw@hvcn.org      | If you think education is
Computer Scientist | (313) 995-8250 x5632 |  expensive, try ignorance.