Subject: Re: Booting multi-user
To: Adam Forsyth <forsytad@martin.luther.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 20:31:38
> I don't think it has one.  I've been using it on the PowerBook mostly,
> because thats mine.  The IISI belongs to where I work, so I just tried
> it out since it was a supported system to se if it would boot multi user.

If it were an FPU related problem, you should have got an error message
"unimplemented instruction" or some such.

> I only boot serial console on the PowerBook.  On the IISI, i booted
> single user, and it worked, Tried to boot Multi user and it froze.  Both
> attempts on the IIsi were using the regular screen, and keyboard (Not
> Serial Console)

At which point does it freeze?  If it always freezes at the same point,
then it may be /etc/ttys.  You can edit /etc/ttys to turn getty off on
/dev/tty0[01], by 1) booting in single-user mode, 2) mount -u /, and
3) edit the file.

> > If you're running older 1.0 or 1.0A, I strongly suggest you
> upgrade > your binaries to 1.1A.  You can get a reasonably current binary
> > snapshot from ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/w/wormey/netbsd/.
>
> I'm running 1.1, is 1.1 a newer kernel than that that I should upgrade to?

1.1 release kernel does not have FPE (floating point emulator) built-in.
I think it's better to upgrade your system anyway.

ken