Subject: Re: GENERIC#52 not swapping ?
To: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 15:24:49

> Hello,
>
> I've just noticed that my mac (running GENERIC#52 kernel and 1.1 stuff)
> does not swap. I have 17 MB installed in my machine and configured 60 MB
> swap (sd0b). The swap partition is /etc/fstab. Whenver I issue the command
> pstat -s I get always the same info: 4 blocks used.
> I've written a small C program that simply grabs as much memory it can get.
> It will always stops at 15MB.
> What's wrong here ? Should I try another kernel ?

You should check the ulimits for your process. It chould well be that
your process isn't allowed to have more than 15 Meg (quite reasonable
for average use). Also, NetBSD is set to swap only when needed. So you'll
need to fill your internal 17 Meg before you'll see any swapping.

Try running 3 or four of your grabby processies, each set to grab
14 Meg. Also, make sure that they touch most of this memory. Some
systems (I'm not sure if NetBSD is one) will let you malloc
a lot more than you really have in memory. You just can't
actually write to all the space. When you touch a page of memory,
it actually gets allocated. This permits you to work with
large, sparse data structures.

Take care,

Bill