Subject: Re: trap to debugger with GENERIC#52 kernel
To: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 11:36:52

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've tried to use the serial console stuff on my IIsi (17 MB, no FPU) the
> other day. Everything seemed to work okay, until the point where the kernel
> changes it's security level. At that point the machine drops into the
> kernel debugger (jump to address 0, or something like that).
> Now this might be a pilot error, because I had enabled a getty on that line
> before and simply disabled it by commenting the tty0 line out.
>
> Do I need a /etc/ttys entry for using the serial console ? I want to use
> the machine head- and handless.

I suspect you have a problem w/ /etc/ttys. The serial port development
happened on a IIsi, so it should be fine.

I think totally leaving out a tty line is not good. I have multiple
possible lines for tty00 & tty01, all but one of which is commented
out. So if you don't like how the line was, copy it, save the old off
w/ a comment, and hack on the new one.

A more-significant problem is that you might still have ttye0
still enabled. When you boot on serial console, the screen does NOT
get initialized, so ttye0 will go down in flames.

> ciao
>   lutz
>
> P.S. aside from that problem the machine works fine (a bit slowly). Good Work !

Thanks! I think everyone gets psyched when it works for someone new.