Subject: Re: Recompiling NetBSD including kernel
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1996 16:11:05
>> I am assuming that a simple (cd /usr/src;make world) or similar will build
>> everything, and thus magically transform me from 1.1A to 1.1-current.
>
># cd /usr/src ; make build

I don't seem to have a /usr/src/Makefile - did I miss a tarball?

>> Should I rebuild gcc first, so that the whole tree is recompiled with the
>> newest version of gcc?  Would this be (cd /usr/src/gnu/gcc2;make install)?
>
>You should.  There are, in fact, instructions for this, too:
># cd /usr/src/include ; make install
># cd ../gnu/gcc2 ; make
>...this will grind for a while and then die in building libgcc if you're
>   compiling with 2.4.5.
># make install ; make ; make install
>...the second make will succeed.
>
>It's much easier to install Steve's latest tarballs to get you the
>current compiler...  'make build' will do a 'make clean' and 'make depend'.

Well, that's debatable - since my LCIII has not 'net connection, and my
PowerMac only has a 14.4 modem.  Downloading from the net is somewhat
complex for me right now.

>On my IIcx, the entire 'make build' takes days.

Well my LCIII shouls be very slightly faster.

>> Do these files include the basic kernel source?
>
>Nope.

Ahh... where do I get that from, then?  And what was sys.tar.gz (expanded
to /usr/src/sys).

Thanks all,

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@mailbox.co.uk           |  6 Evelyn Road      |
|  Julian Bean   |(jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk)|  TW9 2TF    *UK*    |
|  The Other Place - n. (pop.) Depending on the affiliation of the     |
|  speaker, one of Oxford, Cambridge, The House of Lords, The House of |
|  Commons, Hell.  Draw your own conclusions.                          |